Pet Owner Resources
Helpful Links for Pet Medical Center Clients in Bell County
Please note, Pet Medical Center provides these pet resources as information only - we do not recommend nor are we affiliated with these organizations or websites. Always call us with questions.
- Texas A&M Small Animal Clinic
- Texas A&M University Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital
- Veterinary Eye Center
- Eye Care for Animals
- Veterinary Behavior Consultations
- CVCA Cardiac Care for Pets
Local Animal Shelters
- Bell County Animal Shelter
- Harker Heights Pet Adoption Center
- Copperas Cove Animal Control
- Killeen Animal Shelter
- Texas Humane Heroes - Killeen
- Temple Animal Shelter
- Texas Parks and Wildlife
- Texas Wildlife Services
- Texas Animal Health Commision
- Local Game Wardens
- Local Wildlife Biologists
- Wildlife Rehabilitators - Bell County
- Wildlife Rehabilitators - Williamson County
Animal Control Codes/Law for Texas and local communities
- Health And Safety Code Title 10. Health And Safety Of Animals Chapter 826. Rabies
- Texas Administrative Code Title 25. Health Services Part I. Department Of State Health Services Chapter 169. Zoonosis Control Subchapter A. Rabies Control And Eradication
- Bell County - Animal Control
- Salado (Requires yearly rabies vaccine) - Ordinances
- Belton - Code of Ordinances
- Morgan's Point - Code of Ordinances
- Temple - Animal Services Department
- Nolanville - Ordinance Codification
- Killeen - Code of Ordinances Chapter 6 - Animals
- Gatesville - Code of Ordinances
- Copperas Cove - Code of Ordinances Chapter 3 - Animals And Fowl
- Harker Heights - Code of Ordinances Chapter 90 - Animals
- Lampasas - Code of Ordinances Chapter 10 - Animals
- Kempner - - Ordinances
Pet Loss Resources
Quality of Life Scales
- Quality of Life Assessment Checklist
- Lap of Love Quality of Life Scales
- Lap of Love Daily Quality of Life Diary/Assessment
General Support Resources
- Finding Support for Grief: Resources – Pet Loss Helplines, Facebook pages
- Pet Loss Website
- Pet Owner Information sheets from Veterinary Wisdom
- Lap of Love Veterinary Hospice
- How to say goodbye to your pet
- How pet loss affects other pets
- How to talk to your kids about euthanasia
Euthanasia and Natural Death Resources
- Euthanasia: Making the Decision
- Veterinary Partner Euthanasia article
- The Dying Process - what to expect with natural death
Pet Loss/Grieving Resources
- “When Your Pet Dies–A Guide to Mourning, Remembering and Healing,” by Alan D. Wolfelt, Ph.D.
- “Coping With Sorrow on the Loss of Your Pet,” by Moira K. Anderson
- “Preparing for the Loss of Your Pet,” by Myrna Milani, DVM
- “Pet Loss: A Thoughtful Guide for Adults and Children,” by H. Nieburg and Arlene Fischer
- “When Your Pet Dies–How to Cope With Your Feelings,” by Jamie Quackenbush
- “On Death and Dying,” by Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
- "Soar, My Butterfly: The Animal Dying Experience" by Gail Pope
- "The BrightHaven Guide to Animal Hospice: Caring for Animal Companions in Their Golden Years and through the End of Life" by Gail Pope
- "Into the Light: Helping animal lovers understand and care for pets through the process of dying and death" by Gail Pope
Additional Pet Health, Pet Behavior & Pet Info Sites
- American Animal Hospital Association
- American Association of Feline Practitioners
- American Board of Veterinary Practitioners
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association
- Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges
- Association of American Feed Control Officials
- Veterinary Cancer Society
- United States Pharmacopeia
- American Kennel Club
- International Cat Care
- US FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine
- Southern Veterinary Partners
- Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement
- Companion Animal Parasite Council
- Clean Run - Agility Information
- Assisted Living for Seniors with Pets
- CDC Rabies Information
- CDC Zoonotic Diseases
- Pet Health Network – Find answers about your pet.
- Veterinary Oral Health Council – Pet dentistry information.
- APHIS Pet Travel – Basic information on domestic and international travel of pets by the US Department of Agriculture.
- Veterinary Information Network – This site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of topics, including feline injection-site sarcomas and the latest subjects in veterinary medicine.
- Humane Society of the United States – Promotes the protection of all animals. Here you will find many wonderful animal-related stories and information on pet care, pet adoption, and animal welfare issues.
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences – Search a toxic plant database.
- ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center – For any animal poison-related emergency or if worried your pet ate something toxic.
- Pets & Parasites – Recommendations for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of parasite infections.
- Heartworm Society – Learn more about deadly heartworms and what you can do to protect your pet.
- The ASPCA – Exists to promote humane principles, prevent cruelty and alleviate fear, pain, and suffering in animals.
- Dog Owner's Guide – This is a nice starter guide of things that you should consider when you are thinking about getting a puppy.
- The Cat Fanciers' Association – This website provides pictures and information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and more.
- HomeAgain & AKC Reunite Microchips & PetLink – Register & update your pet’s microchip information.
- Rainbow Bridge – A Grief Support Community for those who are hurting from the death of a beloved pet.